Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10697 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 531, 532, 533, 534, 535  Next
 Post subject: Re: The News Thread
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:45 am 

That people are protesting now after Trump said (when he thought he was going to lose) the result of the election shouldn't be observed is quite ironic. I guess there's more justification now in that more Americans voted for Hilary than for him. Looks like you're right that normal Americans won't see much change judging by the amount of backtracking he's done on his pre-election pledges already. Abolishing Obamacare and locking up Clinton immediately spring to mind - can't wait for someone to ask him when construction on the wall is going to start, and whether Mexico are going to pay up front or in instalments.

As for Brexit, I suppose it depends who you are. The tanking exchange rate has already had a profound affect on a lot of businesses, my own included. The full affects won't be more widely felt until we actually leave and beyond.

No G W wasn't much different - gaffe-prone Republican candidate from a rich family background who was a businessman before turning to politics. Not sure why anyone sees Trump as a new a new deal.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:43 am 

South East Citizen wrote:
That people are protesting now after Trump said (when he thought he was going to lose) the result of the election shouldn't be observed is quite ironic. I guess there's more justification now in that more Americans voted for Hilary than for him. Looks like you're right that normal Americans won't see much change judging by the amount of backtracking he's done on his pre-election pledges already. Abolishing Obamacare and locking up Clinton immediately spring to mind - can't wait for someone to ask him when construction on the wall is going to start, and whether Mexico are going to pay up front or in instalments.

As for Brexit, I suppose it depends who you are. The tanking exchange rate has already had a profound affect on a lot of businesses, my own included. The full affects won't be more widely felt until we actually leave and beyond.

No G W wasn't much different - gaffe-prone Republican candidate from a rich family background who was a businessman before turning to politics. Not sure why anyone sees Trump as a new a new deal.

The only thing with gw. Was he was comedy gold for sound bites with those gaffs.
But i think donny maybe have some value along these lines too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:40 pm 

dunno, i did read an interesting and rather imaginative article about the potential effects of trump, especially if he's particularly isolationist and if russia capitalises on a significantly weakened NATO in it's dealings with ukraine and, by extension, europe. it was rather fantastical but, as it took pains to point out, so would the events that lead up to world war one have seemed at the time. it will probably boil down to fuck all being all that different thanks to the "don't rock the boat" effect of global capitalism but it's still unnerving, and the various accounts of people going up to folk and saying "we won, you're getting deported, get the fuck out" are disturbing to say the least.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:33 am 

the amount of backtracking he's done on his pre-election pledges already. Abolishing Obamacare and locking up Clinton immediately spring to mind - can't wait for someone to ask him when construction on the wall is going to start, and whether Mexico are going to pay up front or in instalments.

Seems like feeding the electorate bullshit is part and parcel these days sadly. Our recent example was the remain camp pre-Brexit - shameless lie after shameless lie. Did anyone ever ask George Osborne what happened to his "emergency budget" for when we voted out?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:50 pm 

Bastard wrote:
the amount of backtracking he's done on his pre-election pledges already. Abolishing Obamacare and locking up Clinton immediately spring to mind - can't wait for someone to ask him when construction on the wall is going to start, and whether Mexico are going to pay up front or in instalments.

Seems like feeding the electorate bullshit is part and parcel these days sadly. Our recent example was the campaigning by both sides pre-Brexit - shameless lie after shameless lie. Did anyone ever ask George Osborne what happened to his "emergency budget" for when we voted out?

ftfy
or indeed any of the things that were mentioned by either side.

well. apart from the economic suicide bit. that was correct, at the very least in the short term.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:49 pm 

Has it been though? Economy's doing well according to FTSEs 250 & 100. Inflation's below 1%. We seem to be attracting foreign investment still.

Obvs you've got to balance that against the currency slide, but I'm owed a load of money in Euros from last year so I'm fucking quids in. :TopHat1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:24 pm 

The FTSE 100 is doing well because those companies make most of their money abroad and cash in when they convert their USD and Euros back into GBP. Nothing wrong with that but I'm pretty sure Brexit wasn't sold on the back of enriching the top 100 companies who operate outside the UK through having a weak currency.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:31 am 

What about the 250?

and the rest of the post?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:02 pm 

Well the 250 the same as the 100 obviously. To a lesser extent but the gains have been less. The rest of it - I find it strange the way people are saying it hasn't been as bad as everyone expected when we haven't left yet. My understanding was that practically every economist in the country was saying the economy would suffer after we leave the single market, and the damage would be particularly keenly felt after 5-10 years. Ive got interest in saying I told you so though, I really hope that isn't the case.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:21 pm 

A lady on news night last week who was a finance expert (i tink).
She said in 50-100 years we will look back on brexit as a slight blip in british financial history.
she was quite matter of fact about it, and with confidence, thats it will turn out to be not that big of a deal in the long term.
there were other saying the absolute opposite but its a suck it and see thing ain't it.
until it happens, i don't think anyone knows, markets will fluctuate with the uncertainty and then when the dust settles the everyday man on the street will just carry on.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:41 pm 

That may be so, but historic events and actually living through something are rather different.

I'm mainly going off the currency thing, and how that affects cost of living because really that's what is applied to everyone. Food prices are going to be affected, as is fuel, and a fucktin of consumer goods because we don't really make much in the way of electrinic goods etc. Add the increased comparative costs of holidays abroad and it's a not insignificant hit for most people. Unless you work abroad or get paid in euros, in which case you've made a decent profit on the back of it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:16 pm 

David White one of about two dozen (that have come forward) that were abused by youth team coach Barry Bennell, and possibly others as well, in the 80's and 90's. He ran teams out of platt lane for a period. Fucking horrible. Paul Stewart is another that's waived anonymity

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:04 pm 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
David White one of about two dozen (that have come forward) that were abused by youth team coach Barry Bennell, and possibly others as well, in the 80's and 90's. He ran teams out of platt lane for a period. Fucking horrible. Paul Stewart is another that's waived anonymity

Considering i played for jnr blues in the late 70s in to the early 80s and that i was such a catch its not surprising i wasnt fiddled .

Seriously though. As they are who they are like david white. They have got bottle ti come out with this.
And i think this will get fucking big.

In the muen last night. There was a story of a big fucking fat scouse peado. Who thought he was meeting the grandad of a 3 year old girl who was going to let him have a go.

He just needs to fuckoff and die the worst of deaths..

Cunts the lot..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:17 am 

When I was a young apprentice Trevor Morley used to tea bag me while I cleaned his boots :(

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:16 am 

And in today's news -

"Local young women don't mind when fat hangs down from their stomach and body - and does not fit into their jeans.
Whatever, when they go to a nightclub they put on tight fit leggings and mini-dresses."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05 ... omophobic/

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:27 pm 

I read this last night some ruskie woman going on with herself and her backwards country..
She needs her back doors kicking in..
Sort her right out..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:30 am 

Anyone else noticed that our owners are front and center of the shit-storm currently being created in the middle-east?

They've managed to unite Iran, Syria, Qatar and Russia against them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:23 am 

I'll take that as a 'No' then. :|

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:13 am 

I did notice Khabom, its a shit storm and I don't know what to make of it all. Qatar seem to be in the guts of it and they are not saying anything to satisfy all us outsiders about ISIS involvement. To put some clarity on that, when Saudi Arabia wants to distance itself from Qatar because they are too radical....there is something well messed up going on.

Unsure exactly of our owners involvement, we will wait and see.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:14 pm 

Too many political idiots here to bother about others.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10697 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 531, 532, 533, 534, 535  Next