Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bear Vs Mears
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:47 pm 

It is one handy hint which does not feature in the TV survival expert's handbook.

What do you do when under attack from another TV survival expert?

This is the quandary facing Channel 4's Bear Grylls following a vitriolic onslaught from his BBC rival Ray Mears.

In an interview, Mears dismissed the former SAS man as nothing more than a 'showman' and 'boy scout'.

He also attacked TV directors for trying to 'hype' things up, after Grylls was said to be surviving in 'hell holes', while staying in a motel for his show.

According to Radio Times, 44-year-old Mears laughed out loud when asked if he watched his opposite number's programmes for tips.

He said: 'Do I look for tips from Bear Grylls? Yes - on how not to make television programmes! As far as I'm concerned, these people are just showmen.

'I think the viewer knows that if you want to really know how to take care of yourself in the wild, I'm the person to talk to.'

The presenter, whose new series Ray Mears Goes Walkabout begins on Sunday, added: 'I welcome competition, but I want to see real experts, not boy scouts pretending to be.'

Mears claimed his shows, which have also included Wild Food and Extreme Survival, have helped save lives.

'You can take short cuts if you want, but we never have.

'I've had many arguments with directors, telling them, "We do it the right way or not at all". That caused a problem in the old days, but now directors see what happens if you cheat.'

Last summer, 33- year- old Grylls was criticised over revelations that his existence during filming his series Born Survivor had been more comfortable than the programme suggested.

The Old Etonian's escapades attracted 1.4million viewers as he demonstrated gruesome survival tips which included sucking the fluid from fish eyeballs and squeezing water from animal dung. But an adviser to the programme claimed that much was not as it seemed on television.

Viewers were not told that, far from roughing it, Grylls was spending some nights in the Pines Resort hotel at Bass Lake, California, where the rooms have Internet access and it is advertised as 'a cosy getaway for families' complete with blueberry pancakes for breakfast.

In another episode when Grylls declared he was a ' reallife Robinson Crusoe' stuck on a desert island, he was actually on an outlying part of the Hawaiian archipelago and retired to a motel at nightfall.

Mark Weinert, a survival consultant brought in for the programme, said one show also wrongly gave the impression that the adventurer built a Polynesian-style raft using only materials around him, including bamboo and palm leaves for a sail.

Mr Weinert had in fact led a team that built the raft, which was then dismantled so that Grylls could be shown constructing it on camera.

'If you really believe everything happens the way it is shown on TV, you are being a little bit naive,' Mr Weinert told the Sunday Times.

Invited to respond to the attack by Mears, Bear Grylls was unavailable for comment.

[SIZE="4"]Ray Mears is a legend!!!! :D[/SIZE]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:14 pm 

Grylls is a gimp

Mears rules

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:23 pm 

Timpblue wrote:
Grylls is a gimp

Mears rules

Conker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:27 pm 

I'd lilke to see if either of these twats could survive the weekend at the Download festival. Not only is there the danger of exploding gas canisters at the random campfires and the dangers of eating greasy burgers the size of chocolate buttons, they would have to try to stay intact in the mosh pit during Slipknot's set.

I think we'd quickly see that both of them are pussies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:30 pm 

slart wrote:
I'd lilke to see if either of these twats could survive the weekend at the Download festival. Not only is there the danger of exploding gas canisters at the random campfires and the dangers of eating greasy burgers the size of chocolate buttons, they would have to try to stay intact in the mosh pit during Slipknot's set.

I think we'd quickly see that both of them are pussies.

ray mears would have built the stage and instruments from twigs he found in the field, made delicious grub burgers and taught slipknot how to be happy again... bear grylls would prob have given it a miss and lodged up in a hotel somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:23 pm 

ESM wrote:
Conker

Thirded.

I bought a flinty fire stick thing today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:37 pm 

Ray Mears has a black stetson like mine too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:38 pm 

Top 10 voted Ray Mears Facts

If theres something strange in the neighbourhood, who you gonna call...? RAY MEARS!

46 votes

Ray Mears trained Yoda.

43 votes

The A-Team love it when a plan comes together. Ray Mears doesn't need to, his plan ALWAYS comes together.

42 votes

Ray Mears doesn't need to use condoms - he just builds millions of tiny sperm traps out of deer sinew and bamboo.

41 votes

Ray Mears just does it.

38 votes

Ray Mears eats danger for breakfast after trapping it using a wooden log, a piece of sinew and a small cockroach on a stick. The cockroach is absolutely necessary.

37 votes

Ray Mears is responsible for 87% of all UK khaki shorts sales.

36 votes

Ray Mears caused the Big Bang using a couple of really large flints and a time machine made out of a coconut.

35 votes

Ray Mears can start a fire with two bits of Asbestos

34 votes

Ray Mears is the eighth wonder of the world.

33 votes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:41 pm 

"All the crew are setting up camp around this rocky outcrop, but I'm setting up on my own over here, because I prefer my own company - being at one with nature. And, of course, because everyone thinks I'm a twat."

I love Ray Mears. Much better than Tyrone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:47 pm 

Ray rules with a knife and machete.