Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Idiotic statement?
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:39 am 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/suffolk/7399412.stm

A tarantula was spotted lurking in a bunch of grapes - as a father prepared to give them to his four-year-old boy.

Kevin Hudson, 40, of Elmswell, Suffolk, found the spider in the grapes he had bought at Asda, in nearby Stowmarket, as he washed them for son Rhys.

He caught the 2.5in (5cm) creature and took it to his local vet and it is now being housed at a local reptile centre.

"Naturally if this has caused the customer any distress we are of course very sorry," said an Asda spokeswoman.

Mr Hudson said he was washing the grapes when the spider crawled out.

"I was a little bit shocked," he said.

"Spiders don't bother me too much, although it would have been a different story if my wife had been washing them."

The spider, docile after two days in the fridge, was caught in a plastic box and taken to a local vet, and is now housed at Abbey Aquatics and Reptiles.

"It's just a small Chilean Tarantula with a lovely black abdomen and pink zebra markings on the back," Colin White, of Abbey Aquatics and Reptiles, said.

"We get about half a dozen calls a year from various supermarkets and grocers about the area to come and pick them (creatures) up.

"More often than not they are just frogs that have come in on bananas but we do get a few tarantulas - we have even had a couple of snakes over the years."

An Asda spokeswoman said the firm sold more 30 million bags of grapes a year and had never had a report of a tarantula on a bunch. "It's highly unlikely that a spider of this size could have hitched a ride as we have strict procedures in place to stop this sort of thing from happening," the spokeswoman said.

"It is for this reason why we need to get the spider back to accurately identify what variety it is, its country of origin and how it got into the grapes."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
what a pillock that spokesman is then. it has already been identified as Chilean. what did the bloke do, go to a pet store and then claimed it was with the grapes?!?!?!
Doh!

no no no, i like the foreigners. it's those c nts in white football shirts that get on my tits. - GA (on England)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:26 am 

Frank Blue wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/suffolk/7399412.stm

A tarantula was spotted lurking in a bunch of grapes - as a father prepared to give them to his four-year-old boy.

Kevin Hudson, 40, of Elmswell, Suffolk, found the spider in the grapes he had bought at Asda, in nearby Stowmarket, as he washed them for son Rhys.

He caught the 2.5in (5cm) creature and took it to his local vet and it is now being housed at a local reptile centre.

"Naturally if this has caused the customer any distress we are of course very sorry," said an Asda spokeswoman.

Mr Hudson said he was washing the grapes when the spider crawled out.

"I was a little bit shocked," he said.

"Spiders don't bother me too much, although it would have been a different story if my wife had been washing them."

The spider, docile after two days in the fridge, was caught in a plastic box and taken to a local vet, and is now housed at Abbey Aquatics and Reptiles.

"It's just a small Chilean Tarantula with a lovely black abdomen and pink zebra markings on the back," Colin White, of Abbey Aquatics and Reptiles, said.

"We get about half a dozen calls a year from various supermarkets and grocers about the area to come and pick them (creatures) up.

"More often than not they are just frogs that have come in on bananas but we do get a few tarantulas - we have even had a couple of snakes over the years."

An Asda spokeswoman said the firm sold more 30 million bags of grapes a year and had never had a report of a tarantula on a bunch. "It's highly unlikely that a spider of this size could have hitched a ride as we have strict procedures in place to stop this sort of thing from happening," the spokeswoman said.

"It is for this reason why we need to get the spider back to accurately identify what variety it is, its country of origin and how it got into the grapes."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
what a pillock that spokesman is then. it has already been identified as Chilean. what did the bloke do, go to a pet store and then claimed it was with the grapes?!?!?!
Doh!

maybe the grapes weren't from chile?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:28 am 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
maybe the grapes weren't from chile?

well it got in there somehow. but asda are denying that this is possible.

no no no, i like the foreigners. it's those c nts in white football shirts that get on my tits. - GA (on England)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:38 am 

To be fair to the supermarket Frank, you would be surprised what the “General Public” will try on!!

I used to work for Tesco’s as a student in the Butchery department, before all the food became vacuum packed, they used to have butchers that cut the meat and others to wrap it and put it on the shelves.

I was working one Sunday, with a slight hang over as usual. Fortunately my boss preferred double time, to seeing his wife, anyway this woman came in with some sirloin steaks that she bought the day before. In the tray with the meat, were not one, but three large and visible flies, with the packaging open.

Now the chances of this happening, in order for them to get in the packaging, go unnoticed, Wrapped and put on the shelves, go unnoticed and be bought by the woman and only notice it when they went to cook the meat, are extremely slim to non existent!!

The nerve of the woman to do this is just amazing. Fortunately, my boss who was under the same impression as me, told the woman to Fook right off and refused to replace the meat. There was just no way it could have happened and he told her to take it up with the environmental health, cheeky Biatch!!

Now the spider story maybe true, but you would not believe what people will try on. I am so glad I no longer work with the general public, and sympathize with anyone that has to. It’s a thankless task and although the majority of people are okay, the few fookers that aren’t make it horrible!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:46 am 

Worked in the ASDA in Harpurhey part time when I was studying, the supervisor told me she had seen a big black spider in the bananas and that I had to go to the stock room at deal with it. I though fuck that, and taking no chances took a lump hammer to the entire box of bananas.
Bitch took in out of me meager wages.
Never shop in ASDA now, I know some horror stories but am delusional enough to think that they dont happen anywhere else.

These are a few of my favourite things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:49 am 

See that from Jonimac, Barna? We are not talking flies, but exotic creatures. As the expert himself said, it happens a few times every year. I worked for Sainsbury's for a while and also received a call over a spiders nest in some bananas. She wanted to bring it into the store. :eek:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:49 am 

I once dropped a jar of raspberry jam on the floor and it broke. I was lucky in a way because when I was cleaning up the mess I found the jam was full of shards of glass. I could have hurt myself you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:51 am 

slart wrote:
I once dropped a jar of raspberry jam on the floor and it broke. I was lucky in a way because when I was cleaning up the mess I found the jam was full of shards of glass. I could have hurt myself you know.

LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:59 am 

Frank Blue wrote:
See that from Jonimac, Barna? We are not talking flies, but exotic creatures. As the expert himself said, it happens a few times every year. I worked for Sainsbury's for a while and also received a call over a spiders nest in some bananas. She wanted to bring it into the store. :eek:

I know, I said it was probably true, but just gave an example of how devious the general public are as well!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:09 pm 
slart wrote:

Made me laugh.