Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: ADDON routers-do not buy
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:20 am 

Just got one of these, installed it on a desktop running XP, all fine and dandy, but won't connect to my laptop running Vista. So I ring the tech support and they guide me step by step to upgrading the firmware. After I did this, the whole router died, no wired or wireless connection, and it won't even reset to default. After a 20 min conversation with some supervisor type, they still have failed to in any way help or reimburse me, telling me to send it back to Amazon.

Fooking useless, do not ever buy any products from these folk, absolute w@nkers.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:27 am 

Had one or two probs with our Belkin, but the tech support is good and they have a lifetime warranty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:29 am 

ESM wrote:
Had one or two probs with our Belkin, but the tech support is good and they have a lifetime warranty.

I'm fuming. Also when I asked to speak to someone senior I was told they wouldn't be in till 2. Lazy barstewards. I only need the router for this week, so I thought I'd just get a cheap one. Last time I make that decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:30 am 

I got a router from Deutsche Telekom for free as we signed up to a 2 year flat rate contract. Works great!!
I have another from Telekom unused if you want it Benny.

no no no, i like the foreigners. it's those c nts in white football shirts that get on my tits. - GA (on England)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:34 am 

Frank Blue wrote:
I got a router from Deutsche Telekom for free as we signed up to a 2 year flat rate contract. Works great!!
I have another from Telekom unused if you want it Benny.

Sadly I don't think it would reach in time. Plus my folks are on an ADSL connection.

I'll just sit and stew in my own Bennybitterness...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:36 am 

I gave away an airport extreme the other week. Shame that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:41 am 

Benny wrote:
Sadly I don't think it would reach in time. Plus my folks are on an ADSL connection.

I'll just sit and stew in my own Bennybitterness...

Shame that. This is it, I think:

http://www.ciao.de/Deutsche_Telekom_Teledat_DSL_Router_530__Test_2504008

Still boxed and unused.

no no no, i like the foreigners. it's those c nts in white football shirts that get on my tits. - GA (on England)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:08 am 

I had no end of issues when I got my new PC with Vista. I had several usb peripherals that it would not recognize, but XP did, including a USB WIFI adaptor. When I loaded the new driver for Vista, the New PC Blue screened on me and I had to re install. I tried three times and then gave up.

Its not wonder M$ are talking of a new windows next year, Vista has killed their reputation and Businesses wont upgrade to it!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:12 am 

Barna Azul wrote:
I had no end of issues when I got my new PC with Vista. I had several usb peripherals that it would not recognize, but XP did, including a USB WIFI adaptor. When I loaded the new driver for Vista, the New PC Blue screened on me and I had to re install. I tried three times and then gave up.

Its not wonder M$ are talking of a new windows next year, Vista has killed their reputation and Businesses wont upgrade to it!!

Vista looks nice and when it works, it is great. When I first got the new machine I had no end of problems. Seems to be working fine since the last 3 months since doing a reinstall and a few system checks.
Perhaps one day there'll be a Linux on the market that most people will be able to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:17 am 

Frank Blue wrote:
Vista looks nice and when it works, it is great. When I first got the new machine I had no end of problems. Seems to be working fine since the last 3 months since doing a reinstall and a few system checks.
Perhaps one day there'll be a Linux on the market that most people will be able to use.

There are some really nice touches in it, it just annoyed the hell out of me that lots of things didnt work, especially USB items that should just plug and play.

Just the IT industry ripping the general public off!! Logitec especially!! The web cam didnt work, said on their site that it wasnt supported by Vista, its only 18 month old FFS!!

I gave it to my mum in the end and bought a cheap one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:22 am 

Barna Azul wrote:
There are some really nice touches in it, it just annoyed the hell out of me that lots of things didnt work, especially USB items that should just plug and play.

Just the IT industry ripping the general public off!! Logitec especially!! The web cam didnt work, said on their site that it wasnt supported by Vista, its only 18 month old FFS!!

I gave it to my mum in the end and bought a cheap one.

that's the problem that MS faces (and other OS manufacturers like Linux providers face)and Apple doesn't. With so many products on the market, it's difficult to make everyone happy. Apple just has to look after itself.
I used to have linux on a machine, but so much didn't work, as the drivers weren't tested properly, i gave up using it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:50 am 

This is my router of choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:54 am 

Did I ever mention I have an iMac? :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:55 am 

Cloudyshin O'Watra wrote:

To remove excess hair?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:56 am 

Cloudyshin O'Watra wrote:

Gayer.

I would like to move to Linux I think. And use open source software. It appeals to my geekiness...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:00 pm 

I'm glad to say I haven't got a clue what any of you are talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:04 pm 

Benny wrote:
Gayer.

I would like to move to Linux I think. And use open source software. It appeals to my geekiness...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SuSE-Inc-openSuSE-10-3-Linux/dp/B000V7FCSM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1210161747&sr=8-2
I had an older version on an old machine. As I said it worked, but not to how I would have liked. This should see you right.
The only problem with Linux being, is that you can tinker with the source code, which I can see you being drawn to do.